Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Read The Shadow of Love - I
Read The Shadow of Love - II
Read The Shadow of Love - III

“David!” I heard her voice so gentle and weak.
“Hi” I said, suddenly became soft hearing her sheer voice. “I am taking a week off,” she said. “Just wanted to let you know” she added. “Don’t worry about me. You just take care of yourself, bye” her voice sounded heavy. Before I could speak my mind she bade goodbye. She rushed to end the conversation. I was back to staring at my phone. And I was so haunted by the thought of her. She was always on my mind; I couldn't stop thinking about her. Memories played in my mind over and over again like a movie. She kept ringing me like music that I have longed for million years. Everything about Kate suddenly felt so precious to me. I had continued the habit of checking my phone every five minutes, even at work, fearing that I might miss her call if ever she calls me. At night, I had gotten used to gazing at my phone, fighting back the urge to call her.

When she didn't dare to call, at one point of time I had a thought. I would not beg for her love. I would not call or message her either. I would disappear from her world. And she would think of me. She would realize that she lost the guy who truly loves her.  Knowing her she would change her mind and look for me. Except that even weeks later, she didn't call. And I knew I have lost my own game.

One morning I accidentally stepped on the white pebbles, on which she drew some beautiful flowers and gave it to me; all thoughts of her came to me at once. I reran everything that had happened in my mind and realized I couldn't lose her. There were much more to behold than ignore. I didn't want to lose our friendship over such an abstract thing called love. So breaking through all the forces of doubts I phoned her to say sorry.

“David! I thought you were never going to call me,” she exclaimed. “Would you mind, if we talk over a dinner, I have a lot more to tell” I said. “Of course I would completely understand if otherwise you are engaged” I added quickly. “I am sorry David” she sounded surprise, she continued. “I am sorry for what happened but I would love to meet you” her voice went softer. “Saying sorry won’t change anything, Kate. I want to know what is going on with you” I demanded firmly. But I didn't have a clue where she stayed for the last whole week. She never told me the address not that I remembered, so I asked her whereabouts and left with my car.

I arrived at the address Kate gave me. I took out the phone and called her. “Kate, I am here” I said, swallowing an empty air down my throat. I waited for Kate in front of the building as she asked me to earlier and when I finally saw her body walking slowly toward me, I had to fight the urge to run and pull her into my arms, to tell her I was sorry, so sorry.

She stopped in front of me and said my name in a kind of regret. And then she brought her view back to me. She smelled fresh but she looked tired and worn out. There were dark circles under her eyes; she might not have been sleeping well lately. In her eyes I saw the bitterness. Without saying anything she led me inside the Restaurant. “I am glad to meet you,” I said. She said nothing. She dropped her gaze down to the concrete floor. And then we walked in silent. Taking few steps forward I asked, “Kate, Did I interrupt you”. Even in my own ears the words sounded distant.

“No… Not at all” she kept walking. There was tiredness in her face, tame eyes and soft expression that made me suddenly feel so fondly of her. But I said it anyway; “How long are you planning to keep at this?” she didn't answer. We have reached the restaurant and took our seats near the window side. “Wait here, don’t go anywhere, okay?” she said to me softly but quite earnestly, locking her eyes to mine until I nod my heads. Then she left. I turned towards the window, in silent I had a lingering thought that this was all a mistake that I should not have asked for dinner in the first place that I looked nothing more than just a pathetic man in her eyes now. She was probably staging the kindest way to get rid of me in her mind.

When she finally came back, she was wearing a sweet smile. She ordered for my favorite dish. She talked about what was on the street, peeping through the window, made some comments on it. She didn't talk about Jackson or anything about my letter. She instead jogged my memory talking about the places we had gone to, things we had done together in the past and other happy things about us. And for a moment, I felt like nothing had happened between us.

As she continued talking, I studied her face, her lips, and her chicks as she drew a smile and laughed lightly, as if I had never seen it so close before. I had thought earlier, what was it about Jackson that made her fall so deeply in love with him? What was it that he did so differently than I did? But as I sat beside her on that table, I thought I understood.

Finally I said “What in me has annoyed you so much?” She didn't say anything. “Was it my email?” I asserted. “Email?” she sounded surprise. It seems she hasn't read my email yet. 


to be continued...


Happy Blogging!

No comments:

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib